GERTRUDE ULOMA IHENACHOR (MRS) RN.PHN.BS.MS.DSD-EDU
Hon. Chief Mrs. Uloma Gertrude Ihenachor was born and raised in Orlu town in Imo State of Nigeria. She has been a Registered nurse and a Public Health Nurse for thirty three years. She obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health ScienceS at California State University in Dominguez Hills, California in1982, followed by a Master of Science Degree in Health Care Administration at La Verne University La Verne California three years later.
She is currently working as a school nurse with Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles California. She is also a part-time teacher and the Chief Executive Officer of Gerthill Allied Health School, a school she founded in 2010 where Nurse’s Assistants and Home Health Aides are trained to become State certified.
Chief Mrs. Ihenachor is a philanthropist, an educator and a community activist. She is very involved in the activities that help the people of her community such as Cultural, Religious, Educational, Health and other Social services. She was the president of two influential women organizations in Southern California and through these organizations, had planned and implemented various humanitarian services and projects that benefited her community in the United States of America and in Nigeria West Africa. She has led a successful medical mission to her home town two years in a row under Gerhill Community Outreach Organization Inc., a non-profit foundation she runs with her family and plans to continue this mission as often as possible. She is one of the founding mothers of Umuada Ndi-Igbo in Diaspora Inc. As the National Vice-President of this organization, she will do everything in her capacity to ensure that the organization moves towards the right direction. She is determined to help Umuada Ndi-Igbo in Diaspora Inc. achieve its goals and objectives.
Serving her community has always been her aspiration. She derives self fulfillment from making a positive impact in the society. She was born into a political family. Her father was a community activist, a school proprietor and a politician who became a member of the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for Orlu Central Constituency. She learned from childhood to render humanitarian services and to contribute positively in any way, to improve the quality of life of the people around her.
She is happily married for 32 years to Hon. Chief Dr Hilary Agim Ihenachor who is also a philanthropist, a politician, an academic, and a former member of the fourth Republic House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. They have lived in the United States of America since then and they are blessed with four children.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
CURRENT – She works with Los Angeles Unified School District as a school nurse since 1997.
DUTIES – Includes but not limited to;
- Health screening and emergency services for major illnesses and injuries at school
- Prevention and control of communicable diseases through assessments, surveillance, and health education
- Train and supervise licensed and unlicensed assistive personnel to perform specializes physical health procedures
- Serves as a resource person for teachers, administrators and other health care personnel and educators, conducts in-services trainings and health counseling for staff, students and parents
- Develop and implement health education curriculum and participates in implementing a comprehensive health instructions for students and staff
- Assist parents and students in health related, school adjustment services such as vision, dental, hearing and scoliosis screenings, and follows up on immunization updates and other health screenings
GERTHILL ALLIED HEALTH SCHOOL
Founder and Director of Nurses at Gerthill Allied Health School located at 825 West Gardena blvd, Gardena, California, 90247
- Nursing Instructor
- Develop and implement Certified Nurse Assistant and Home Health Aid nursing curriculum and lesson plans that cover all aspect of nursing, taking into account, the physical, psychological, sociological, economical, cultural and spiritual health of all patients through classroom instructions, demonstrations and clinical site skills application.
- Assist students in developing nursing skills by demonstrations and practicing of those skills at Specialized Nursing Facilities, Nursing Homes, Health Clinics and other health care settings.
PREVIOUS WORKING EXPERIENCES
DUTIES – As an Intensive Care Nurse, she coordinated the care of critically ill patients and participated in all aspects of critical and total nursing care.
Worked at ST. Erne Sanitarium in Inglewood California from 1985 to 1996
DUTIES – Supervision of nursing staff: she plans and implements nursing care of the elderly and psychiatric patient. These include nursing care plan, medications administration and evaluation of nursing outcome.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION
- Registered Nurse – 1979
- Public Health Nurse – 1990
- School Nurse Credential/Certification – 1997
- Director of Staff Development – 2010
- CPR (American Heart Association)
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS
- Founder/CEO Gerthill Community Outreach Organization Inc. (GCOO)
- Orlu Town Women Organization of Southern California (President from 1994 to 2002)
- Adaugo Women Cultural Association of Southern California (President from 2003 to 2006)
- Umuada Ndi-Igbo in Diaspora Inc. (National Vice-President)
- Los Angeles School Nurses Association (Member)
- St. Eugene Catholic Women Organization – Los Angeles California (Member)